Project Wedding Review

Damselfly Studio Review

See more reviews of Damselfly Studio on Project Wedding.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Why I Knit


I'm rather nuts about knitting. If anyone around me mentions that they are even thinking about knitting, Oh boy, I am all over them!

I'm what the Yarn Harlot would call the Evangelistic Knitter. I want to convert everybody to the craft. I want everybody to knit. The world would be a better place if they would just pick up the needles and knit. Ok, there are some people that you could not trust with sharp pointy objects. Those we would have to give crochet hooks too, or those knitting knobbies. But Knitting! Its pretty hard to stay angry when one is knitting. At least for very long!

I love the soothing texture of fine yarn. First thing I will admit. I confess. I am a yarn snob. There are a few yarns I will buy at A.C. Moore or Micheals. But there are a lot of yarns that I turn my nose up at too. Those stores do have some nice yarn at some decent prices. BUT...your full service yarn store (FSYS) or on line store (OLS) has amazing yarns at such better prices! And the quality!!!!!!! So why buy Lion Brand, Bernat, Patons, when there is Noro, Cascade and Elann for the same price???? Why, why, why????

Ok, see the obsession?

The textures, the fibers...there were not yarns like these even 15 years ago when I had stopped knitting. Then, COLOR. How can one be
depressed, angry or disgruntled when working with such wonderful colors? And the variety of colors? Not just solid colors. Or tweeds. Hand dyed. Self striping. No longer must we have to handle bobbins and multiple strands of wool to have mulitiple colors in our work, or patterned socks! The yarn does it for us!

And if you love books...there are plenty of those to keep a knitter happy, and to keep me happy. When I thought I would not be knitting anymore, I gave away all my books. All but one. Something told me to hang on to that one book. My beloved Readers Digest Guide to Needlework. And my Calc O Knit/Gauge O Knit. Now I have many more books than what I ever would have thought I would have have had before. I am a bookaholic.

So, I guess I knit so I can....be calm and happy. Play with color and wonderful fibers. Create beautiful cloth and garments. AND....its another excuse to buy more books.

No comments: